September is here which means autumn is on the horizon and not only does this call for the changing of the leaves, cooler weather and comfy fall, layered fashions. It means that Homecoming season is upon us and if you attended a Historically Black College or University, you know just how much this time of the year means to us and our culture.
Some only know of Homecoming through Beyoncé’s Emmy-nominated documentary on Netflix of her iconic Coachella performance, but many know of it as a time for fun fellowship and literally going back to where it all started. It is a token within the HBCU experience.
Here are 5 staples surrounding the HBCU Homecoming Experience:
- The swag surf kicks off the event. One of Atlanta’s earliest viral hits reigns supreme 10+ years today and it’s like it has supernatural powers to take over any crowd. It’s become a necessity to have this played on the yards during homecoming today.
- Dress to impress. This is a time for stunting like no other so start getting your fits ready now. If you thought the yard was a fashion show when school was in session, you should know that the bar is even higher during homecoming.
- The food is A1! You will find some of everything during homecoming. From fried fish to funnel cakes and all those guilty pleasures… you are sure to eat good!
- You will get a two-step in. Listen, Frankie Beverly and Maze will come on at some point and you will find yourself immersed into the electric slide wherever you may be standing at that moment!
- You won’t get to see everyone that you make plans to link up with. It’s a true scavenger hunt trying to find your friends within the crowds on the yard so don’t be surprised if you miss the chance to connect with all your friends and be thankful for those you do get to cross paths with.
Homecoming is that time of the year where we celebrate our culture, eat good, and fellowship with the ones that we don’t get to see on the regular. It’s a time to reflect on all the good ole days, brag on our post-grad accomplishments a little, and if you’re still in school it’s a time to really let your hair down and let loose a bit. We plan to enjoy our homecoming season and we hope that you will too… tag us with your best homecoming moments @aspireTV to be featured on our IG!